Thursday, May 21, 2009

Training Log: May 21, 2009

Training today included:
- Attempted kong vault over short side of picnic table.
- Balanced along one inch wide wall.
- Strung together speed vault, quad land, jumping underbar.
- Rolls.

Kong Vault:
Today is day 3 of attempting this vault. I still haven't been injured aside from palm abrasions, but I can't bring myself to do it. I haven't even clipped my feet or knees on the table. No matter where I place my hands now, whether it's the beginning of the table or 3/4 of the way in, I land at the edge of it. The last two times I practiced I got over the table, but it never felt good and I was always off balance. It changed into a strange Kong/Speed vault, where the lift-off was for a kong, and the hand placement was too, but then I unconsciously lift my left arm and swing my feet by instead of through my arms.

So today I concentrated hard on making sure I was using my arms to propel myself forward in addition to the take-off, and getting my butt into the air for a longer dive. I'm feeling better about my technique now, perhaps I'll make the vault next time. I'm pretty sure it's just a fear issue.

Inch-wide Wall Balance:

Third try at this was a success. Went a significant distance in significant wind. It'll only get easier.

Strung Together:

My first attempt at putting parkour to use, although brief. I wish I could say I just did it, but I scoped it out first on the playground. Ran up two steps, speed vaulted a railing slightly over waist height to a 5 foot drop quad landing, ran under a slide that was 4 feet away, and did a jumping underbar over an obstacle 3-4ft off the ground through bars 2-3ft tall and wide. I don't think it was too bad, but it was just a good chance to try it out now that I have more under my belt than a speed vault. Lots of fun.

Rolls:

Effing rolls. The bread and butter I need to learn, but am having so much trouble with. If I don't think about it, I think they're pretty good. My first three rolls today were fantastic, and then they just started sucking. I'll keep drilling them, because getting three right is better than the none I was doing, but I wish it weren't taking so long to learn something so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment