Monday, June 15, 2009

Training Log: June 14, 2009

Training today (okay, yesterday, but it was a long day) included:
- Biking
- Breaking in the Vibrams
- Introducing Matt and Derek to most of what I can do, and teaching them to do it.
- Standard Landing
- PK Roll
- 1" Wall Walk
- 1" Cat Walk
- Kong Vault
- Lazy Vault
- Ledge Grabs
- Speed Vaults

Biking:
Eh. I don't need it for rehabilitation anymore, but it's better for me than driving.

Vibrams:
Spent a really long time in them. From 12:20-7:30ish, never taking them off. The muscles in my feet were starting to get really sore, but this is understandable considering how weakened they've become from 21 years of babying. I continue to be impressed by how much more grip is allowed by them doing anything, and I'm starting to use my toes a lot more in a run to grip the ground.

Matt and Derek:
Parkour's entertainment increases tenfold with other people. I mean it's fun and meditative to do alone, but watching Matt and Derek learn was a great experience. I look forward to the time when we can teach each other. I've also found it's a lot easier to push myself with friends there. I don't tire as easily, my vaults improve, etc etc.

Standard Landing:
It is what it is. I can't see this improving anymore.

PK Roll:
I need to start trying to roll with my opposite foot out, or into a QM position. It feels alright now, but it doesn't feel even close to perfect. I'll have to spend an hour alone banging myself up to get it just right.

1" Wall Walk:
Still getting easier.

1" Cat Walk:
I tried the variation ForestCloak posted on americanparkour.com, it works pretty slick (that is, moving an arm and leg at the same time). It's faster and more stable. I'll continue this. On another note, I made a personal record for distance. Getting stronger.

Kong Vault:
Apparently my left leg kicks in the air now since moving my feet closer on the split-foot take-off. Really exciting to hear. It should be no problem at all now to get an increased dive angle. Now that I've drilled the basics over and over, I'm finally able to concentrate on the fine tuning and it feels great. I now land with a straighter back since punching up from the table, continuing runs is even easier.

Lazy Vault:
Just need to keep drilling them. Next step is increased speed.

Ledge Grabs:
I'm going to start taking off much earlier than usual. Matt mentioned that the two foot punch was killing my momentum. It's still needed as part of the technique, but I think if my skip is earlier and the two foot punch is angled more forward I should be able to redirect the momentum more effectively. I did it once a few weeks ago where there was a ton of airtime before I made contact, but it felt right. I'll try it again. Side note: my hands are becoming much tougher. My fingers are even widening out, which is great to see.

Speed Vault:
Did these over a baseball bench. It forced my take-off to be earlier to avoid slamming my shin into the seat, which much improved it. I'll definitely continue to do it this way, whether it's a bench or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment