Monday, June 29, 2009

Training Log: June 29, 2009

Training today included:

- 1" Wall Walk
- 1" Cat Walk
- Rolls
- Kong Vaults
- Lazy Vaults
- Traceur Vision
- Speed Vaults
- Keystone wall climb

1" Wall Walk:

Even faster now, speed walk.

1" Cat Walk:
I just couldn't do it today, I don't know why. I think a big part of it was not biking to the park today, my muscles just didn't have the appropriate warm-up. I'll have to remember to do some push-ups and squats after I get to the park next time I don't bike.

Rolls:
These also felt really off today. More modifications are definitely needed. On the plus side, as I drove around grabbing job applications I watched for good practice parks. One I found had some really strange, really nice padding all around the playground. Perfect place to practice rolls, or any landing really. I'll definitely be taking Matt/Derek/John there next time.

Kong Vaults:

I've finally reached the point where I don't even think about it, I just go. I vaulted back and forth across the table 5 times, the only rest being the jog after each vault to the other starting point. At the same park I found the good rolling pad, I konged a completely new table without any testing. It was pretty clean, especially considering it was on a hill at a really strange angle.

Lazy Vaults:
Still pretty easy, still drilling them. Just gotta keep it up.

Traceur Vision:
This entailed just standing at the playground, picking a point, and mapping out the fastest way to get there. The goal is to do this now at every training session in as many different points as possible, to try and get it to the point where I don't have to think. This should teach me how to chain my techniques together better. On one of the attempts, however, I whiffed a lazy vault to 5 foot drop. It wasn't terrible, but it did throw me off balance. The resulting landing buried a wood chip pretty deep into the palm of my hand. Thankfully, all the callous I've built up caused most of the damage to be done to nothing but skin tissue. Bled a little, nothing serious. It did prevent me from doing two handed vaults, though, until I could clip off what skin I couldn't just peel.

Speed Vaults:

These were pretty much my only one handed choice for vaults. BUT! Because I didn't want to keep doing benches I attempted two new things. I tried the rink fence (which I made it over at Dakota Heights Park), and whiffed it. My knee has a nice scrape on it now, but that's definitely nothing new. I'll have to work on my vertical more for that to happen. HOWEVER, I did manage to speed vault the picnic table many many times. So that's cool.

Keystone Wall Climb:
So, that new park with the soft ground is behind the restaurant Enjoy. Also behind Enjoy is a little pond. And the retaining wall that keeps Enjoy and the strip mall from slipping into the pond is very long, and pretty high. So I did what any rational rock climbing starved human being would do and um...climbed it. I just moved along the retaining wall until I was at about the middle of the wall/pond, and when I felt like my forearms were going to fail me and send me into the muck I pulled myself up. Excellent exercise. I hope it was legal, I mean to call the city and find out in the next few days. I'm pretty sure it's public, but better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment