Sunday, July 12, 2009

Training Log: July 12, 2009

Training today included:

-Biking
-1" Wall Walk
-1" Cat Walk
-Kong-to-Speed Rotations
-Lazy Vaults
-Rolls
-6" Beam Run
-General Conditioning

Biking:
Cooelle.

1" Wall Walk:

This has gotten to the point where it's really just mind focusing, meditative exercise. Great warm-up.

1" Cat Walk:
Again, jumped off voluntarily from muscle fatigue. Still good, getting faster.

Kong-to-Speed Rotations:

Personal record, 7. I found there's an optimal distance I have to get for a kong to truly waste less energy. If I'm only 2 steps away, it takes a lot more energy than 5. This should be common sense, but then I have to remember that taking steps after a vault is also wasted energy. Gotta find a happy medium. I tried doing both at a full run, I nearly missed the hand plant on the speed vaults because the table passed so quickly. For the kongs I had to slow down a bit or risk flying over and missing the hand plant there too.

Lazy Vaults:

Like the 1" Wall Walk, this has become meditative. I just practice and drill it, there's really no thought process involved. Many times today I barely remembered the process of going over the wall, just the before and after were particularly vivid. I tried one at a full run today, maintaining balance is probably the hardest part. I had to have gone at least another 5 feet forward from take-off until I managed to redirect my course.

Rolls:
Today I finally discovered the difference between collapsing my arm and rolling from it. I don't think I'll hit my shoulder hard again, now I just have to work the hip bone some more. I'm also thinking about trying to exit my roll off the blade of my left foot instead of onto the heel. This is going to take ridiculously careful timing, but it might also solve my hip bone problem. After seeing John do it yesterday, I realized how loud a sound (and how heavy and impact) that heel is actually taking. I'd prefer that not happen on a concrete drop. It works, but I think the foot blade would be better.

6" Beam Run:

I ran for a very long time today across this, several times around the perimeter. Great coordination practice.

General Conditioning:
Push-ups with my feet on the table bench and hands on the ground, crunches, pull-up, etc etc. I also realized how much harder I push myself training alone. I was out there for an hour today and could barely move after-wards, whereas we trained for an hour and a half yesterday and I didn't feel like I'd done anything. I'll have to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment