Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Training Log: July 3-6

Training at the cabin included:

-Cat Leaps
-Kong-to-Speed Rotations
-Cat Walk
-Wall Walk
-Wall Run
-Speed Vaults
-Lazy Vaults
-QM
-Finger/Toe Grips
-Rolls
-Run
-Banlieue 13

Cat Leaps:
Never really done these before, so I kept it simple. Just jumped off a rock onto a keystone wall repeatedly. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, I'm sure I could pull it off on a smooth wall. Grabbing the top of the wall without slipping was simple, for some reason I thought it was going to be extremely difficult. Admittedly this could be because the keystone offered better support from my legs? We'll see.

Kong-to-Speed Rotations:
Found a picnic table at the 4th of July fireworks wider than what I'm accustomed to, and made it over with ease. I only had 2 running steps before the take-off to make it over, and they were still easy. I recently read on a forum a way to work up to the length of the picnic table, suggesting that I add obstacles in front of the table. I'll have to give that a try.

Cat Walk:
Thick, round, wooden beam cat walk. It had to be done just to remain in practice, but it was extremely easy.

Wall Walk:

Same beam, same effort.

Wall Run:
Up the keystone again, same as last time I was up there. It was fun to do the two tiers one after the next again though.

Speed Vaults:
Did a few of these over a small railing to a 1' drop. Really just worked on muscle memory, I can't improve these over such a small obstacle. It was smooth though.

Lazy Vaults:
Same railing, same effort.

QM:

I did these beasts backwards up concrete block steps. It really, really, hurt my muscles but I felt great when I reached the top. I nearly slipped off to go headfirst down the stairs a few times (concrete block steps = short and high) so that was doubtlessly a driving force to complete it.

Finger/Toe Grips:

I stood in the middle of the keystone wall, gripping my fingertips and toes on the 1/2" available. Then, I did squats. Didn't notice the muscle burn as much when I was concentrating so hard on not slipping off the wall, but it was definitely a good workout.

Rolls:

There's still something wrong here. I don't have impact anymore, but my leg gets stretched really weird when I come out of the roll. I'm pretty sure it's not a flexibility issue, so I'm just going to have to play with its exit some more?

Run:
By far the most satisfying experience up north this long weekend. At the 4th of July fireworks there was an elementary school with a really nice North Park-esque playground on it. I won't go into extreme detail, but I basically started at one end and made my way to the other at a dead run while vaulting, jumping, and PK landing the whole way non-stop. So good. I can't wait to do this in an urban environment.

Banlieue 13:

Movie starring David Belle and a lot of Pakour with Martial Arts. I had it for 6 days, I watched it 3.5 times. It's not that it was an amazing movie with substance, they bashed me over the head with a giant morality pan liberally throughout, but the action scenes were amazing. Not to mention, I think the longest I had to wait for one was maybe 10 minutes? 15 tops? Anyway, Parkour + Ass-Kickery = Epic any day for me, so it's an instant favorite. Not to mention it's in French. Bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment